Due to the specific period in life at which Young Professionals find themselves, free time is limited. Some of the participants might have been active IEEE volunteers during their student days, but with the shift to work and managing their careers, they find it challenging to maintain the same level of involvement as a volunteer. Other Young Professionals have been IEEE members for years, but have never tried volunteering, and would like to start somewhere small. The proposed micro-volunteering (µVolunteering) platform would help address such needs, by introducing a degree of flexibility to volunteering within IEEE. Through this platform, Young Professionals will be able to advertise and search for volunteering opportunities, be it short- or long-term, local or remote, or requiring different skills.
The µVolunteering platform could potentially serve all IEEE members, contributing to the improvement of member and volunteer retention and satisfaction rates. For more information about the µVolunteering, and the IEEE Young Professionals Business plan, please refer to the IEEE Young Professionals business plan.
Is your IEEE OU interested in using the platform?
Should you and your organizational unit choose to be part of the µVolunteering pilot, you will be provided with the following resources:
- Access to fully operational µVolunteering online platform
- Tutorial and training materials
- Continuous support and communication during the pilot from the IEEE Young Professionals team
Participants in the µVolunteering pilot would have the following tasks throughout the duration of the pilot, which will take place between 1st May 2018 and 15th October 2018:
- Active engagement with the µVolunteering platform during the pilot
- Engage local community in the µVolunteering program
- Act as or assign at least one champion volunteer for the pilot to help within your IEEE organizational unit